2010-07-11

Trade offs - Time versus cost/availability of materials - 10 year design life

For this craft I have chosen an design life of 10 years. The original craft that I built in 1972 required a new canvas covering in about 10 year cycles. Even with regular application of preservative, the canvas over time became weak and ripped easily on rocks. It has by now been recovered twice. Also the wood, which is mostly white pine has become quite brittle and the craft is at this point pretty much at the end if its truly useful life, other than possibly for some lily dipping.

Since I hadn't the space when I was younger and more nomadic, I often had to store the boat outdoors usually on work horses with bottom up and exposed to the elements. For the last years though it has been stored indoors and the last 10 in my basement in a controlled environment with a relative humidity consistently lower than 60%.

I also chose this design life of 10 years since the appropriate materials are very readily available at any local hardware store. The only exception is the canvas which less common and never readily available.

Also this craft is not that expensive or difficult to build that one could not readily build another one in ten years. If it lasts longer that is a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment