2010-07-19

Fabric

The plans have the following requirement for Fabric and I quote:

Hull - one piece 15 oz. proofed canvas or plastic covered fabric 18ft. 0 in. long x 48 in.

Deck - one piece 10 or 12 oz. proofed canvas 18ft.0in. long x 36in.

This corresponds to One 1.22 m. by 5.5 m. 15 oz and the other 1 m. by 5.5 m. of 10 or 12 oz.

---

House Of Canvas Products, 3 Cleopatra Drive, (Nepean) Ottawa, ON K2G 3M9 carries 15oz. on a regular basis at $15 a yard for a total of $90.00 (all currency in these posts is Canadian dollars). The roll is 60 inches wide which leaves for a lot of waste. In building and recovering the first kayak, I recall that the 48 in wide piece left a lot of waste already let alone 60". I might be able to make better use of the canvas by adding one seam through the middle.

For the decking I can probably rip the piece once down the middle although it may be a little tight. Good thing I have an old already-built Kayak that I can take good measurements from.

For the decking the same company does have a substantial roll of 10 oz. in stock and it should be available for some time. It is again a roll 60" wide at $10.00 a yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment